Masterminds behind forming of Vidarbha Opthalmic Society
Dr. A. V. Madangopal
Dr. S. U. Joshi
Dr. Sudha Sutaria
The surplus amount of Rs. 25,000/-formed the main corpus to form Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society. The main intention of formins Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society is to disseminate knowledge of Ophthalmology in all corners of Vidarbha. Hence it was decided to have an Annual meeting once in Nagpur alternating with other districts of Vidarbha, so that, everyone gets an equal opportunity to hold the meeting. I was very fortunate to be associated with these pioneers of Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society right from day one. Since all these four people were very well disciplined, they formulated the constitution of Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society. Dr.S.V.Sule and Dr.P.J.Mokadam helped in great details for proper formulation of constitution of VOS.
The first Annual VOS Conference was held in 1976. Dr.Premprakash was the Guest Faculty. As the expectations and availability of sources was negligible, Dr.Premprakash like a true teacher explained everything with a chalk on the black-board. He demonstrated each and every investigative procedure for a case of squint in the Department of Ophthalmology, Govt.Medical College, Nagpur. Everyone was satisfied by demonstration of his surgical technique especially his way of suturing “Rescessed muscle”. Slowly availability of instruments, equipments, and Five-Star Culture has changed the simple VOS organization to a hi-tech scenario.
The year 1996 can be considered as a turning point for Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society in following aspects:
- Amendments in Constitution of VOS was carried out and Supervisory Board consisting of 7 Senior Past-Presidents to guide Executive Committee of Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society was formed.
- Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society became a Registered Organisation with Charity Commissioner under Society Act.
- First time Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society invited All India Vitreo-Retinal Society and a Grand Convention for 3 days was held.
- Dr. A.Y Madangopal decided to hang his gloves hence 21st VOS Annual Convention was dedicated to Dr. A.V Madangopal.
- Dr. S.V. Sule was felicitated for getting an Award of Service above Humanity from Rotary International.
- Dr. Vikas Mahatme received a special acknowledgement for getting “Colonel Rangachari Award” for his work on “Dry-Eye” from All India Ophthalmological Society.
- Surplus money out of 21st VOS Annual Convention was decided to be utilized for organizing an Oration on Retina and Vitreous, which would co-incide with installation of New President of VOS. So from ’96 – ’97 onwards an additional activity of VOS has begun.
- For 5 consecutive years, Orations to Stalwarts like Dr. Babu Rajendran, Dr. Namperumalsamy, Dr. P.N. Nagpal, Dr. S.S. Badrinath, Dr. S. Natarajan were Awarded.
- There would be 2 activities in a year.
- Activity in March would be called as “Summer Activity”, which would coincide with one Oration and Installation of New President and his team.
- Activity in the month of October would be called as “Winter Activity”, which will be an Annual VOS Convention.
- Oration for
a) Retina and Vitreous “Dr.Sudha Sutaria Oration”.
b) Cornea & Adnexa “Dr. Madangopal Oration”
c) Cataract & Glaucoma “Dr. S.U. Joshi Oration”
These Orations would be awarded in rotation every year in Summer Activity.
- Surplus money from Silver Jubilee Conference was contributed towards “Silver Jubilee VOS Dr.lshwarchandra Award” to be given during Annual VOS Conference, depending upon the respective theme of Annual VOS Conference. In the year 2003, all members of Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society had a Moment of Joy and Pride as Dr.lshwarchandra, our beloved teacher and a person who is responsible for carving my career got the Highest Award – “Lifetime Achievement Award” from All India Ophthalmological Society.
In the year 2004 it was accepted by the general Body that, since the activities of VOS have increased, to keep the track of all Orations and to improvise the standard of Academic Deliberations in VOS a new post as “Chairman Scientific Committee” with a tenure of 3 years was created. Dr. S.C. Karandikar was unanimously elected for the post. He is ably looking after Scientific Programmes. I congratulate him for his untiring efforts towards proper management of Scientific activities of VOS.
Looking back, as a member of VOS who is observing VOS right from day one it appears that the Organisation is growing very fast. It has strengthened in membership, become rich in Academic activities. Newer and newer younger Ophthalmologists are joining with great enthusiasm. I feel honoured to be a part of this Prestigious Organisation. Our seniors are always willing to guide us, bless us and juniors are ever enthusiastic to run around.
I pray to the God that the VOS should go on progressing ever and I remain a humble worker forever.
Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society Organises Annual VOS Convention once in Nagpur alternating with other districts of Vidarbha. It is usually theme based and “Doyens” in various sub-specialities had been invited to have a good interaction amongst the delegates. Following chart represents the same: –
|7.||1982||Dr. O. L. Rathi||Dr. Mrs. C.A. Dhawan||Squint + 61st Birthday Celebration of Dr. Ishwarchandra||Nagpur||Dr. Premprakash & Many more|
|12.||1987||Dr. Y. H. Sardeshpande||Dr. P.S. Agnihotri||Myopia & RK||Chandrapur||Dr. Anita Panda Dr.Bhavishi|
|13.||1988||Dr. P.J. Mokadam||Dr. A. Pangarkar||Ocular Trauma||Nagpur||Dr.Manju Kulkarni, Dr.S.Natarajan, Dr.Raijada, Brig.Boperai|
|16.||1991||Dr.VijayAgrawal||Dr.Dikkar||Cornea||Amravati||Dr.Bharati Lavangia, Dr.B.T.Maskati|
|17.||1992||Dr.P.V.Koranne||Dr.H.N.Chhabrani||Pars Plana Surgery||Nagpur||Dr.Nagpal, Dr. Namperumalsar|
|18.||1993||Dr. RMamidwar||Dr.Sudhir Pendke||Paediatric Oph.||Wardha||Dr.Satish Sharma|
|21.||1996||Dr.Sulabha Deshpande||DrAnant Gade||Retina||Nagpur||13 Faculty of All India Retina Society|
|22.||1997||DrAshok Keole||Dr.Neelima Pawade||Oculoplasty||Amravati||Dr.S.N.Betharia, Dr.T.Brahmbhatt|
|23.||1998||DrAnil Bhonde||DrAjay Sood||Glaucoma||Nagpur||Faculty from Glaucoma Society of India|
|24.||1999||Dr.K.D.Patil||DrAnil Laddhad||Squint||Wardha||Faculty from All India Strabismologica Society of India|
|25.||2000||DrA.Pangarkar||Dr.Deepak Batra||Mixed bag||Nagpur||8 Faculty of Different Sub-Speciality|
|26.||2001||Dr.Ninad Ghate||Dr.Bawankule||Phaco||Akola||DrAmar Agarwal|
|27.||2002||Dr. P. Agnihotri||Dr.Nikhil Nagpurkar||Retina||Nagpur||Dr.Patnaik, Dr.Shroff, Dr.Vaidya, Dr.Jalali, Dr.Bhende,Dr.Sen|
|28.||2003||Dr.Satish Deshmukh||Dr.Shubhangi Bhave||Paediatric Ophthalmology||Amravati||Dr.Vij'ayalaxmi|
|29.||2004||DrAnil Laddhad||Dr.D.Modak||Cornea & Refractive Surgery||Nagpur||Dr.M.Srinivasan,DrAshish Bansal, Dr.Virender Sangwan, Dr.Sujal Shah, Dr.B.K.Naik, Dr.Sandeep Arora, DrJagruti Jadej'a, Dr.Dariel Mathur|
|30.||2005||Dr.D.Nilawar||Dr.G.Arora||With MOS||Mumbai||Dr. Mahipal Sachdev|
|31.||2006||Dr.S.Bhave||DrAj'ay Kulkarni||Squint, Phaco,Contact Lens||Nagpur||Dr.Pradeep, Sharma, Dr.KanwarMohan, Dr.Murlu Aasuri, Dr.Verman, Dr.SriGanesh|
|32.||2007||Dr. S.N. Malpani||Dr. J. Kole||Mixed Bag||Akola||Dr. Shridhar Rao, Dr. K.Kothari, Dr.A. Shroff, Dr.V. Agrawal, Dr. P. Shah|
|33.||2008||Dr.Modak||Dr. A.D. Deshpande||Ophthalmology India 2010||Nagpur||Dr. H. Khatib, Dr. H.S. Dua, Dr.S.Meenakshi, Dr.N. Ptel, Dr. Babu Rajendra, Dr. Lalit Verma, Dr. Sudipto Pakarasi, Dr. S.P.S. Grewal, Dr.D. Sood|
|34.||2009||Dr. V. Adalkhiya||Dr. A. Bajaj||Wardha||Dr. H.K. Tiwari, Dr. J. Titiyal, Dr. P. Krishna, Dr. Parul Mehta, Dr. R. Murthy|
|35.||2010||Dr. D. Batra||Dr. R. Joshi||Drishticon 2010||Nagpur||Dr. D. Bhattacharya, Dr. Keiki Mehta, Dr. A. Vasawada, Dr. A. Nagpal, Dr. Kamal Kapoor, Dr. Anita Gyanchandani|
|36.||2011||Dr. A. Harwani||Dr. A. Patil||Eyecon 2011 (Mixed Bag)||Amravati||Dr. R Deshmukh, Dr. Rajat Maheshwari, Dr. S. Das, Dr. R. Ramamurthy, Dr. Mahipal Sachdeva, Dr. Vimala Menon, Dr. R. George, Dr. Sri Ganesh|
|37.||2012||Dr. U. Rewanwar||Dr. V. Dashputra||OCULUS 2012||Yavatmal||Dr. T.P. Lahane, Dr.R. Parikh, Dr. A Kulkarni, Dr. S. Haldipurkar, Dr. Swati Gadgil,Dr. S. Gadkari,Dr. Girish Rao,Dr. J. Ladi|
|38.||2013||Dr. G Arora||Dr. R. Khan||MOSCON 2013 (Ophthalmic Innovation)||Nagpur||Dr.H.S. Dua, Dr. M. Sachdeva, Dr. S. Honawar, Dr. P. Bhende, Dr. Muna Bhende, Dr. R. Gandhi, Dr.Ram Murthy, Dr.Sriganesh, Dr. R Kekunayye, Dr. P. Sharma, Dr. A. Chakrawarti, Dr. R. Gandhewar, Dr. Shubhra Goel, Dr. B.S. Rao, Dr. Nivean|
|39.||2014||Dr Hussain||Dr Vishwakarma||Mixed bag||Akola||Dr R Chaudhari|
|40.||2015||Dr R.Dandekar||Dr R viswakarma||Ocular panacea||Chandrapur||Dr B Shanta, Dr K Lahiri, Dr M Killedar, Dr p Gogtey, Dr S Wagh, Dr P KRISHNA, Dr v Rathi, Dr jLadi, Dr A desai, Dr A kulkarni, Dr Mishrikotkar, Dr Aashish Bansal, Dr Milind Naik, Dr Rajesh sinha, Dr Ramesh Murthy, Dr Sanjay Gadre, Dr Alok Sen, Dr Pradnya Sen, Dr Anil Mandal|